The railway car inspection stations are arranged at all large stations as well as at the stations where the trains are formed or where cargoes with significant loading and unloading dimensions are handled. Main purpose is to carefully inspect the cars, identify malfunctions and remove them. There are no special requirements to the lightning protection of a railway car inspection station according to regulatory documents. It is important to ensure the required reliability of lightning protection. Recently, the ZANDZ Technical Center received a request to calculate the lightning protection for the railway car inspection station located in Vladimir Region. Let us continue with more detailed review of our offered solution.
Calculation of the lightning protection for the railway car inspection station located in Vladimir Region
Facility: a railway car inspection station located in Vladimir Region.
Figure 1. Facility plan.
Task: To perform calculations for the lightning protection system for the railway car inspection station located in Vladimir Region.
Protection of buildings against lightning strikes is provided by using lightning arresters. Lightning arrester is a device that is elevated over the protected facility, through which the lightning current goes into the ground bypassing the protected facility. It consists of a lightning rod that accepts the lightning discharge, a current collector, and a grounding electrode.
Solutions to meet the requirements to the lightning protection system for the railway car inspection station in Vladimir Region:
The activities were made in accordance with the Electrical Installations Code (EIC), Rev. 7, Chapter 1.7, SO 153-34.21.122-2003 Guidelines for Lightning Protection of Buildings, Structures, and Industrial Utilities (hereinafter referred to as SO), and RD 34.21.122-87 Guidelines for Lightning Protection of Buildings and Structures (hereinafter referred to as RD).
The protected facility is classified as a conventional facility in terms of lightning protection according to SO and to Category 3, Protection Zone B according to RD.
A set of arrangements ensuring compliance with the lightning protection requirements is based on the following solutions:
- installation of 4 x 4 m lightning rods on the wall. It is taken into account that 0.7 m of the height of lightning arrester are necessary for mounting;
- lightning arresters are interconnected to arrange two current collectors using galvanized steel wire D = 8 mm from each lightning arrester. The main conductor cables are mounted (with mounting step 0.6-1 m):
- o to the walls using clamps GL-11703A;
- connection and branching of current collectors are made using clamps GL-11551A.
A set of measures to ensure the requirements for the grounding arrangement is based on the following solutions:
- Mounting of two grounding arrangements consisting of a horizontal electrode (galvanized steel strip with a cross-section 4 x 30 mm), a depth 0.5 meters and vertical electrodes (steel copper-clad pins with a diameter 14 mm), 3 m long each;
- connection of the current collector with bringing out of the zinc-plated ground bar is performed using control clamps GL-11562A;
- connection of vertical and horizontal electrodes is performed using clamps ZZ-005-064;
- design of the grounding arrangement corresponds to item 1.7.55 of the EIC. Grounding arrangements for protective grounding and grounding for lightning discharges are common. Any grounding device may be used as a protective grounding.
The location of the elements of the lightning protection system and the grounding arrangement is shown in a drawing in a separate file. The indicated protection zone corresponds to zone B according to RD.
Figure 2 shows hardware layout.
Table 1 includes the list of required hardware and materials.
Условные обозначения Legend
- стержневой молниеприемник - lightning rod
- горизонтальный заземлитель - horizontal grounding electrode
- вертикальный заземлитель длиной 3 м - 3 m vertical grounding electrode
- токоотвод - lightning arrester
- зажим для подключения проводника - clamp for connecting a wire
- зажим контрольный (проволока+полоса) - control clamp (wire + bar)
Figure 2. Location of the equipment to provide lightning protection for the railway car inspection station in Vladimir Region.
Table 1. List of material requirements.
Do you have any questions about lightning protection for the railway car inspection station or other objects? Please, contact the ZANDZ Technical Center!