How do we arrange lightning protection in a private house?
Let's look at one example. A couple of days ago the experts from ZANDZ.com calculated lightning protection at the client's request. We are glad to share these calculations with you!
Parameters of the object:
- Structure length: 12 m;
- Width: 13.5 m;
- Height: 10 m.
- Roofing material: composite tile (multilayer coating based on steel sheet 0.5 mm thick).
- Cladding: brick.
- On the roof there are two chimneys: 20-30 cm above the roof level.
- The distance from the wall to the roof projection: 50-60 cm.
- A gutter is positioned along the roofing perimeter, and there are 6 down pipes in the corners of the building. The gutters and pipes are plastic.
- The soil in the site is loamy.
- There are no high buildings nearby.
Lightning protection was calculated in accordance with Electrical Installation Code 7th rev. Chapter 1.7. CO 153-34.21.122-2003 "Instructions for lightning protection of buildings, structures and industrial communications" (hereinafter CO) and RD 34.21.122-87 "Instructions for lightning protection of buildings and structures" (hereinafter RD).
According to CO 153-34.21.122-2003, the house is an ordinary building in terms of lightning protection. And according to RD 34.21.122-87 , this house refers to Class 3. Based on these data, lightning protection of this house requires lightning rods. A lightning rod is a device rising above the protected facility to divert the lightning current into the soil without entering the protected facility. The device contains the following components: air terminal, down conductor and earthing electrode.
Measures for lightning protection of the house:
- Installation of two lightning rods rods, each 4 m high, both fixed to chimneys.
- Two down conductors with copper-clad wire D = 8 mm. The lightning rods are also interconnected to arrange two down conductors from each lightning rod. The down conductors should be located no closer than 3 m from entrances or in places where people cannot touch them. The down conductors are fixed on the roof with GL-11747A clips. The down conductors are fixed to the water pipes with GL-11514 clips. The down conductors are fixed to the chimneys with GL-11704A clips. GL-11551A clips are used to connect and branch the down conductors.
- Installation of the grounding device, consisting of three vertical electrodes (copper-clad pins 14 mm in diameter, 3 m long, jointed with a horizontal electrode (copper-clad stripe 30x4 mm). The distance between the vertical electrodes is at least 5 meters, the distance from the horizontal electrode to the building walls is 1 m, the depth is 0.5 m.
- The down conductor is connected with the copper-clad stripe protruding from the ground with GL-11562A clip.
Protection area and layout of lightning protection elements
Equipment for lightning protection
Send us your questions on calculations of grounding and lightning protection. Technicians from ZANDZ are happy to answer them. You will find our contacts here.