Filling station for mining vehicles occupies a rather large territory designed for the access and parking in the course of filling large quarry trucks, including BelAZ. We need to protect the filling station as well as trucks with the height up to 4.7 m against lightning.
To provide lightning protection of the filling station for mining vehicles, 18 m standalone lightning arresters are used. Due to this height, we were able to reduce the number of lightning arresters to two and arrange them such that to avoid obstacles for the mining vehicles access.
Let's consider the lightning protection of the filling station for the mining vehicles in more details.
The protected facility is a filling station for the mining vehicles.
The calculation of the lightning protection of the filling station for the mining vehicles was performed in accordance with the following regulatory documents:
- "Electrical Installations Code" (hereinafter referred to as the EIC), 7th edition.
- "Instructions for the installation of lightning protection of buildings, structures, and industrial communications" SO 153-34.21.122-2003 (hereinafter referred to as SO).
- "Instructions for mounting the lightning protection of buildings and structures" Working Documentation 34.21.122-87 (hereinafter referred to as the RD).
The lightning arresters are used to protect the buildings against lightning strokes. The lightning arrester consists of an interception rod, intercepting a lightning discharge, the main conductor cable, and the ground electrode. All these elements let us divert lightning current into the ground safely, without any damage to the protected facility.
The filling station for the mining vehicles is a special facility that is hazardous for the adjacent facilities in terms of lightning protection according to SO and to Category 3 according to RD.
Description of the lightning protection system of the filling station for the mining vehicles
A set of arrangements ensuring compliance with the lightning protection requirements is based on the following solutions:
- 2 x 18 m standalone interception rods are installed.
- Lightning arresters generate protection zone B according to RD as shown in Figure 1.
A set of measures to ensure the necessary requirements for the grounding device of each interception rod is represented by the following solutions:
- Laying a horizontal ground electrode for current spreading in two directions with an angle of 90 degrees between them. Length of each ground electrode is 5 m. The ground electrode is made of a corrosion-resistant steel copper-plated strip with a cross section of 4x30 mm, the laying depth is 0,5 m.
- At the end of the horizontal ground electrode, one vertical electrode with the length of 3 m is installed in each directions.
- The vertical and horizontal electrodes, as well as the horizontal electrodes with the interception rod are connected using the clamps ZZ-005-064.
The location of the elements of the lightning protection system and the grounding arrangement is shown in Figure 1. The protection zone corresponds to zone B described in Appendix 3 of RD 34.21.122-87.
Figure 1. Layout of lightning protection elements and ground electrode of the filling station for the mining vehicles.
Условные обозначения: - Key:
Отдельно стоящий молниеприемник - Standalone lightning arrester
Горизонтальный заземлитель в земле - Horizontal grounding electrode in the ground
Вертикальный заземлитель длиной 3 м - 3 m vertical grounding electrode
Зажим для подключения проводника - Clamp for connecting wire
Зона защиты на отм. - Protection zone at mark
с надежностью 0,9 СО - with reliability 0.9 according to SO
Components to provide lightning protection of the filling station for the mining vehicles
|№||Part number||Name||Quantity, pcs.|
|1.||ZZ-201-020-В5-Сн5||ZANDZ Conductor connection terminal (up to 40 mm)||2|
|2.||ZZ-005-064||ZANDZ Conductor connection terminal (up to 40 mm)||8|
|3.||GL-11075-10||GALMAR Copper-clad strip (30x4 mm/S 120 mm²; 10-meter strip bundle)||2|
|4.||ZZ-001-065||ZANDZ Copper-plated threaded grounding rod (D14; 1,5 m)||8|
|5.||ZZ-002-061||ZANDZ Threaded coupling||5|
|7.||ZZ-004-060||ZANDZ Guide head for jackhammer attachment||2|
|8.||ZZ-006-000||ZANDZ Conductive grease||1|
|9.||ZZ-007-030||ZANDZ Waterproofing tape||2|
|10.||ZZ-008-000||ZANDZ Attachment to the hammer (SDS max)||1|
Do you have any questions related to the calculation of the lightning protection and grounding of the filling station for the mining vehicles? Please, contact the ZANDZ Technical Center!