The fuel storages are the facilities the lightning protection for which must be provided with special care. Correctly executed lightning protection of the aviation fuel storage site can insure from the major financial damage, as well as the negative environmental consequences.
Kerosene is considered as the flammable liquids, therefore, the protection zone A according to RD 34.21.122-87 has become a special requirement for the lightning protection of the aviation fuel storage site. The protection method is uncontested, namely the standalone lightning arresters, since the site must be protected as the 1st-category site in accordance with the same regulatory document.
Let us consider the lightning protection of one of the aviation fuel storage sites located in the Urals. The aim was to provide lightning protection with due regard to the existing lightning arrester.
The facility for lightning protection is the aviation fuel storage site.
The lightning protection for the aviation fuel storage site was performed in accordance with the following regulatory documents:
- "Electrical Installations Code" (hereinafter referred to as the EIC), EIC 7th edition.
- "Instructions for the installation of lightning protection of buildings, structures, and industrial communications" SO 153-34.21.122-2003 (hereinafter referred to as SO).
- "Instructions for mounting the lightning protection of buildings and structures" Working Documentation 34.21.122-87 (hereinafter referred to as the RD).
The lightning arresters are used to protect the buildings against lightning strokes. The lightning arrester consists of an interception rod, intercepting a lightning discharge, the main conductor cable, and the ground electrode. All these elements let us divert lightning current into the ground safely, without any damage to the protected facility.
The aviation fuel storage site shall be protected as the 1st category lightning protection site and A area according to RD 34.21.122-87.
Description of the lightning protection system for the aviation fuel storage site
A set of arrangements ensuring compliance with the lightning protection requirements is based on the following solutions:
- The available interception rod with the height of 25 m is used.
- Additionally, 2 standalone interception rods with a height of 12 m are installed.
- The interception rods provide the A class protection zone according to RD shown in the drawing in a separate file.
A set of measures to ensure the necessary requirements for the grounding device of each interception rod is represented by the following solutions:
- Laying a horizontal ground electrode for current spreading in two directions with an angle of 90 degrees between them. Length of each ground electrode is 5 m. The ground electrode is made of a corrosion-resistant steel copper-plated strip with a cross section of 4x30 mm, the laying depth is 0.5 m.
- At the end of the horizontal ground electrode, one vertical electrode with the length of 3 m is installed in each directions.
- The vertical and horizontal electrodes, as well as the horizontal electrodes with the interception rod are connected using the clamps ZZ-005-064.
The location of the elements of the lightning protection system and the grounding arrangement is shown in Figure 1. The indicated protection zone corresponds to the A zone according to RD.
Figure 1. Disposition plan of the lightning protection elements and ground electrode of the aviation fuel storage site.
Components for the lightning protection of the aviation fuel storage site.
|№||Part number||Name||Quantity, pcs.|
|1.||ZZ-201-012||ZANDZ 12 m vertical lightning arrester (galvanized steel; with parts embedded under the foundation)||2|
|2.||ZZ-005-064||ZANDZ Conductor connection terminal (up to 40 mm)||8|
|3.||GL-11075-10||Copper-clad strip GALMAR (30x4 mm/S 120 mm²; 10-meter strip bundle)||2|
|4.||ZZ-001-065||The copper-clad threaded grounding pin ZANDZ (D14; 1,5 m)||8|
|5.||ZZ-002-061||Threaded coupling ZANDZ||5|
|6.||ZZ-003-061||ZANDZ takeoff tip||4|
|7.||ZZ-004-060||ZANDZ guide head for jackhammer attachment||2|
|8.||ZZ-006-000||ZANDZ conductive grease||1|
|9.||ZZ-007-030||ZANDZ Waterproofing tape||2|
|10.||ZZ-008-000||ZANDZ Attachment to the hammer (SDS max)||1|
Do you have any questions relating to calculation of the lightning protection and grounding of the aviation fuel storage site? Please, contact the ZANDZ Technical Center!