You wondered what would happen to people riding a Ferris wheel with a lightning strike? Of course, during a thunderstorm, it is stopped, but even if the elements hit suddenly, you should not be afraid.
Thanks to the metal construction, lightning protection of the Ferris wheel in the usual sense is not needed. All parts of the attraction will be under one potential, as a result of which a person will not fall under the potential difference and will not receive an electric shock. This is the case when equalization of potentials is more important than protection against direct lightning strike.
For a complete lightning protection of a Ferris wheel, it is enough to make a reliable grounding. It is provided by the foundation itself, as well as additional artificial grounding conductors in the form of a strip and pins.
Check out the right solution for Ferris wheel lightning protection from our news.
To calculate lightning protection and grounding of the Ferris wheel.
Calculations of lightning protection are made in accordance with the following documents:
- "Electrical Installation Code" EIC 7th ed. (hereinafter - EIC).
- "Instructions for organization of lightning protection of buildings, structures and industrial communications" IS 153-34.21.122-2003 (hereinafter IS).
- "Instructions for lightning protection of buildings and structures" AD 34.21.122-87 (hereinafter - AD).
Lightning arresters are used for protection of structures from lightning strikes. A lightning arrester usually consists of a lightning rod, intercepting the lightning strike, a down conductor and a ground electrode. All these elements allow to safely drain lightning current into the ground without a damage for the protected object.
A Ferris wheel refers to traditional objects from the point of view of lightning protection in accordance with IS and to the third category of lightning protection in accordance with AD.
Ferris wheel lightning protection system description
The set of measures to provide the required lightning protection is as follows:
- In accordance with paragraph 2.11 of the AD: “The installation of air-termination rods or the installation of an air-termination grid is not required for buildings and structures with metal trusses, provided that their roofs use non-combustible or non-combustible heaters and waterproofing”.
- In accordance with clauses 1.6 and 2.12 of AD, the metal frame of the building is used as down conductors, provided there is continuous electrical connection in the connections of structures and fittings with lightning rods and grounding conductors.
The set of measures to ensure provision of the necessary requirements of the grounding device is as follows:
- Laying of a horizontal grounding conductor made of corrosion-resistant copper-bonded tape with the cross-section of 4x30 mm (GL-11075), laying depth 0.5 m.
- Installation of three vertical electrodes 3 m long is carried out.
- Connection of vertical and horizontal electrodes, as well as horizontal electrodes with a lightning rod is carried out with the help of clamps ZZ-005-064.
- The sturcture of the grounding device corresponds to item 1.7.55 of EIC. Grounding devices for protective grounding and lightning protection grounding are common.
Figure 1. Ferris wheel lightning protection and grounding plan
Accessories for lightning protection and grounding of a Ferris wheel
|№||Product item||Name||Quantity, pcs.|
|1.||ZZ-005-064||ZANDZ Clamp for connecting conductors (up to 40 mm)||5|
|2.||GL-11075-20||GALMAR copper-bonded tape (30 * 4 mm / S 120 mm²; coil of 20 meters)||1|
|3.||ZZ-001-065||ZANDZ Copper-bonded threaded grounding rod (D14; 1.5 m)||6|
|4.||ZZ-002-061||ZANDZ Threaded coupler||4|
|5.||ZZ-003-061||ZANDZ Starting tip||3|
|6.||ZZ-004-060||ZANDZ Driving head for jackhammer||2|
|7.||ZZ-006-000||ZANDZ Conductive grease||1|
|8.||ZZ-007-030||ZANDZ Waterproofing tape||1|
|9.||ZZ-008-000||ZANDZ Header for a jackhammer (SDS max)||1|
Do you have any questions about grounding and lightning protection of Ferris wheels? Contact the ZANDZ Technical Center!