There are no specific requirements in AD to lightning protection of sport complexes. Everything depends on the object details and customer desires. At our object there is a service platform in the center of the roof. The engineers of the ZANDZ Technical Center considered this detail when they got a task to calculate lightning protection of one of sports complexes.
We offer you to get familiarized with the project details and calculation example:
Lightning protection of a sports complex calculation
Object: sports complex.
Figure 1 - Plan of the object.
Task: Calculate lightning protection systems for a sports complex.
Protection of buildings and structures against lightning discharges is ensured by lightning rods. A lightning rod is a device rising above the facility that diverts lightning current into the ground without entering the facility. It consists of a lightning rod which directly takes the lightning discharge upon itself, a down conductor and a ground electrode.
Solutions to meet the requirements for a lightning protection system:
- Lightning protection is carried out in accordance with EIC 7th edition, IS 153-34.21.122-2003 "Instructions for lightning protection of buildings, structures and industrial communications" (hereinafter IS) and AD 34.21.122-87 "Instructions for lightning protection of buildings and structures" (hereinafter AD).
- The object refers to category 3 of lightning protection. System reliability must be not less than 0,9.
- The lightning protection of the object is made with the help of 5 vertical air-terminal masts 2 m high on concrete bases (GL-21521SS) placed on the service platform, 4 vertical air-terminals masts 1,5 m high installed on metal roof snow barriers around the roof perimeter.
- Copper-bonded steel wire d8 mm is used as down conductor (ZZ-502-008-125).
- Installation of down conductors is carried out with the help of clamp GL-11545A - on the service platform, GL-11514N -on the rainwater down pipe for down conductor down drop. Distance between the clamps- from 0.8 up to 1.0 meter.
- A universal clamp GL-11551A is used for connecting the mill products along the length and in the nods.
- All metal elements placed on the roof must be connected to the down conductor with the help of clamps GL-11545A. Stairs, railings are connected with the help of a clamp GL-11514N.
- A reinforced concrete structure of the building is used as a ground electrode system.
- Connection to the grounding device is carried out with the help of clamps ZZ-005-064.
Results of the calculation carried out with the software developed by the JSC "Energy Institute to the name of G.M. Krzhizhanovsky (JSC "ENIN"):
Density of lightning strikes into the ground - 4 strikes / sq. km per year;
The total number of strikes into the system - 0,46 (once in 22 years);
The total number of breakthroughs is 0.0042 (once in 238 years);
System reliability - 0,908;
Probability of breakthrough into all the system objects - 0.092.
Figure 2 shows the arrangement of equipment.
Table 1 gives the list of the required equipment and materials.
|условные обозначения||Type Codes|
|молниеприемник мачта высотой 1,5 м на анкерах||air terminal mast 1,5 m high on anchors|
|молниеприемник мачта высотой 2 м на бетонном основании||air terminal mast 2 m high on concrete foundation|
|проволока стальная оцинкованная диаметром 8 мм||galvanized steel wire 8 mm in diameter|
|универсальный зажим соединитель для проволоки||universal connector clamp for wire|
|фальцевая клемма для крепления к металлическим конструкциям||folding terminal for fixation to metal structures|
|опуск токооотвода||down conductor downdrop|
|зажим для подключения проводника||clamp for connecting conductor|
Figure 2 – Equipment layout for lightning protection of a sports complex
Table 1 - List of need in materials.
|1.||GL-21134||GALMAR Air terminal mast (1.5 meters; for vertical surfaces, galvanized steel)||4|
|2.||GL-21131||GALMAR Air terminal-mast on a concrete base (2,0 m; on one concrete base; galvanized steel)||5|
|3.||ZZ-502-008-125||ZANDZ Steel galvanized wire (D 8 mm / S 50 mm²; coil of 125 m)||4|
|4.||GL-11551A||GALMAR Clamp for connecting down conductors (painted galvanized steel)||30|
|5.||GL-11545A||GALMAR Clamp on the gutter for a down conductor (painted galvanized steel)||370|
|6.||GL-11514N||GALMAR clamp to the rainwater downpipe for a down conductor (tape of tinned copper + stainless steel clamp)||80|
|7.||ZZ-005-064||ZANDZ Clamp for connecting conductors (up to 40 mm)||8|
Do you have any questions about lightning protection of sport complexes? Please contact our ZANDZ Technical center!
- What for lightning mesh is used
- Answers to questions from the webinar peculiarities of lightning protection in mountainous region
- Why a single standing lightning rod is not reliable