The final part of the article "How to choose lightning rods after all?"
The statistical method for the design of external lightning protection of buildings of different height, large massifs of industrial construction, power lines of voltage upscales, has been actively used by the national practice for more than 30 years. The typical protection zones of single and double rod and catenary wire lightning rods, included into the existing regulatory documents on lightning protection of the Russian Federation are calculated on its base. In its generalized form in 2009, the method was recommended for use by the Technical memo № 25/09 of Roselektromontazh association, approved by Gostechnadzor . Formally, the statistical method is applicable for the choice of lightning rods with any somewhat high reliablity, but its source data cannot be considered well proved by the use experience on the level higher than 0,999. For this reason, the calculation data about a higher reliability of protection should be studied as approximate. The ways to improve the method are obvious, but they cannot be implemented without accumulation of the necessary use experience. To be fair it should be noticed that the reliability of external lightning protection, exceeding 0,999 is not so in demand. In fact, at the height of the lightning rod of about 1 m, as mentioned above, it will take about 1 lightning striker per year upon itself, which will bring to one breakthrough in 1000 years of use at the indicated reliability. It is not so bad in comparison to other natural disasters.
The question about the practicability of the analysis given in this article afer a many-year practical application of statistical principles is legible. Its answer should be negative, if not the persistent efforts to introduce EIC standard prescriptions in Russia. The compliers of this European document do not reveal the scientific bases and the quantitative reason of the calculation methods of choosing lightning rods offered in it.
- Lightning Protection. Golde R.H. Edit. Academic Press/ 1977/ 441 pp
- Bazelyan E.M., Levitov V.I., Pulavskaya I.G. Electric charge in multi-electrode systems. Electricity. 1974, № 5, p. 44-50.
- Bazelyan E.M. Lightning strike point selection Electricity. 1974, № 10, p. 15-19
- Gaivoronskiy A.S., Karasyuk K.V. New methodical principles of estimating thunder-resistance of overhead power lines of high voltage classes. Scientific messenger NSTU, №2(5), 1998
- Akopyan A.A. Research of the protective action of lightning rods. Works from All-Russian Electric Institute. 1940, release 36, p. 94-158.
- Bazelyan E.M., Sadykhova E.A. Orientation of a long spark. Electricity. 1970, № 10, p. 63-67
- Aleksandrov G.N., BAzelyan E.M., Ivanov V.L., Sadykhova E.A. About orientatio of a long spark channel. Electricity. 1973, № 3, p. 63-66.
- International Standart. Protection against lightning/ IEC 62305
- Bugsdorf V.V. Research of lightning protection of power lines by catenary wires. Electricity 1956, № 1, p.8-14.
- Kostenko M.V., Polovoy I.F., Rosenfeld A.N. Role of lightnhing breakthroughs passing the catenary wires for lightning protection of high voltage power lines. Electricity. 1961, № 4, p. 20-26.
- Instruction on lightning protection of buildings and structures AD 34.21.122 - 87.M: Energoatomizdat. 1990.
- Instructions on lightning protection of buildings, structures and industrial communications IS 153-34.21.122-2003. M: Publishing House MEI. 2004. 56 p.
- Bazelyan E.M. Protection zones of single rod lightning rods. Electricity. 1967, № 7, p.64-69.
- Bazelyan E.M., Berlina N.S., Gorin B.N. Protection zones of high-rise lightning rods. ENIN works. 1975, № 43.
- Bazelyan E.M., Gorin B.N., Levitov V.I. Physical and engineer bases of lightning protection. L: Gidrometeoizdat. 1978. 223 p.
- Bazelyan E.M. Influence of working voltage on the probability of a lightning breakthrough to the overhead line wires. Electricity. 1981, № 5, p.24-28
- Bazelyan E.M., Raiser Y.P. Physics of lightning and lightning protection. M: Phismatlit. 2001. 320 p.
- Association "Roselektromontazh". Technical memo # 25/2009. News of electric engineering. 2009 №4(58), p. 58-59
E. M. Bazelyan, DEA, professor
Energy Institute named after G.M. Krzyzanowski, Moscow
- Useful materials for grounding and lightning protection designers
- Free webinars with the leading industry experts
- Real-life examples of grounding and lightning protection calculations
The full version of the article is available only to registered users!
Get access to all the materials on the site for free!