There are no specific requirements to lightning protection of theatres in AD. The designer or the customer will choose between the use of lightning rods or lightning mesh. The customer chose the latter for this object. Designing the lightning protection system with a lightning mesh, it is necessary to consider necessary details of the regulatory documents.
We offer you to get familiarized with our offer on this object.
Lightning protection of a residential complex in Kazakhstan
Object: residential complex.
Figure 1 - Plan of the object.
Task: Calculate lightning protection system for a residential complex in Kazakhstan.
Protection of buildings and structures against lightning discharges is ensured by lightning rods. A lightning rod is a device rising above the facility that diverts lightning current into the ground without entering the facility. It consists of a lightning rod which directly takes the lightning discharge upon itself, a down conductor and a ground electrode.
Solutions to meet the requirements for a lightning protection system of a residential complex in Kazakhstan:
- Lightning protection is carried out in accordance with EIC 7th edition, IS 153-34.21.122-2003 "Instructions for lightning protection of buildings, structures and industrial communications" (hereinafter IS) and AD 34.21.122-87 "Instructions for lightning protection of buildings and structures" (hereinafter AD).
- The object refers to category 3 of lightning protection. System reliability must be at least 0,9.
- Lightning protection is carried out with the help of a lightning mesh with a distance between the meshes of 10 m. The mesh is made of steel copper-bonded wire (the thickness of the copper coating is not less than 70 mcm), the diameter of the wire is d8 mm (GL-11149).
- Steel copper-bonded wire is used as a down conductor (thickness of the copper coating is not less than 70 mcm) wire d8 mm (GL-11149).
- Installation of down conductors is carried out with the help of GL-11711 clamps – on the roof, GL-11703А – on vertical surfaces.| Distance between the clamps- from 0.8 up to 1.0 meter.
- To connect rolled metal along the length and in the nodes, a universal clamp GL-11551A is used.
- All metal elements placed on the roof must be connected to the down conductor with the help of GL-11545 clamps. Stairs, railing are connected with the help of GL-11514 clamp.
- A belt of down conductors is made at the base of the object and in every 20 m height along in order to unite down conductors along the perimeter for potentials equalizing.
- Copper - coated steel electrodes 3 m long are used in places of downdrops as a vertical ground electrode. Copper-bonded steel tape with the cross-section of 30x4 mm uniting all vertical electrodes in the form of a contour is used as a horizontal ground electrode. The distance to the object foundation- not less than 1 m. Burial depth of the tape 0,5-0,7 m.
- According to EIC 7th ed., item.1.7.55 – Grounding devices of protective grounding of electric installation of buildings and structures and structures of lightning protection of 2 and 3 category as a rule should be common.
- If there are metal reinforce concrete framings, they must be connected to down conductors/ grounding device.
- Connection to the grounding device is carried out with the help of ZZ-005-064 clamps.
Grounding device resistance calculation:
The design resistance of the grounding device is 1,83 Ohm.
Figure 2 shows the arrangement of equipment.
Table 1 gives the list of the required equipment and materials.
Figure 2 – Layout of equipment for lightning protection of a residential complex in Kazakhstan
Table 1 - List of need in materials.
|1.||GL-11149-50||GALMAR Copper-bonded wire (D 8mm / S 50 mm²; coil of 50 meters)||29|
|2.||GL-11545A||GALMAR Clamp on the gutter for a down conductor (painted galvanized steel)||30|
|3.||GL-11551A||GALMAR Clamp for connecting down conductors (painted galvanized steel)||110|
|4.||GL-11711||GALMAR Clamp on a flat roof for the down conductor (plastic, concrete)||100|
|5.||GL-11703A||GALMAR Clamp to the facade for down conductor with its elevation above the clamp to 15 mm (painted galvanized steel)||1500|
|6.||GL-11514||GALMAR Clamp-bridge on a gutter for down conductor (tinned copper)||20|
|7.||GL-11075-50||GALMAR Copper-bonded tape (30 * 4 mm / S 120 mm²; coil of 50 meters)||3|
|8.||GL-11075-10||GALMAR Copper-bonded tape (30 * 4 mm / S 120 mm²; coil of 10 meters)||1|
|9.||ZZ-001-065||ZANDZ Copper-bonded threaded grounding rod (D14; 1.5 m)||16|
|10.||ZZ-002-061||ZANDZ Threaded coupler||9|
|11.||ZZ-003-061||ZANDZ Starting tip||8|
|12.||ZZ-004-060||ZANDZ Driving head for a jackhammer||4|
|13.||ZZ-005-064||ZANDZ Clamp for connecting conductor (up to 40 mm)||12|
|14.||ZZ-006-000||ZANDZ Conductive grease||1|
|15.||ZZ-007-030||ZANDZ Waterproof tape||3|
|16.||ZZ-008-000||ZANDZ Header for a jackhammer (SDS max)||1|
Do you have any questions about lightning protection of residential complexes? Please contact our ZANDZ Technical Center!