We received a request to calculate the lightning protection of the «Altai State Museum of Local History». This is not the first monument of architecture, history and culture, which is calculates by the ZANDZ Technical Center. You can recall the «The Maly theatre of Russia» and «Historical object – the mansion», news about the lightning protection of which we published on the site ZANDZ.com.
Having a rich and successful experience in designing lightning protection of architectural monuments, we reacted to the lightning protection of the local history museum with full responsibility. Lightning rods and down conductors were located in accordance with the design features of the building, so as not to spoil the appearance, but maintaining high reliability of protection.
Check out the lightning protection solution of the "Altai State Museum of Local History" from our news.
Solution on the museum lighting protection
Calculations of the museum lightning protection were performed in accordance with the following documents:
- «Electric installation code» EIC 7-th ed. (hereinafter —EIC).
- «Instruction on the arrangement of lightning protection of buildings, constructions and industrial communications» IS 153-34.21.122-2003 (hereinafter —IS).
- «Instruction on lightning protection of buildings and structures AD 34.21.122-87 (hereinafter — AD).
Lightning arresters are used to protect structures from lightning strikes. A lightning rod consists of a lightning rod, intercepting a lightning discharge, a down-conductor and a grounding conductor. All these elements allow you to safely divert the lightning current to the ground without damage to the protected object.
The local history museum belongs to the ordinary objects in terms of lightning protection in accordance with the IS and the 3rd category according to the AD.
Description of external lightning protection system and grounding of the museum
The complex of measures to ensure the necessary requirements for the lightning protection system is represented by the following solutions:
- Installation of five rod lightning rods with a height of 2 m on the ridge.
- Installation of five 1.5 m high rod lightning rods on the pipe. It is taken into account that 0.5 m of the rod length goes to the mount.
- Lightning rods are interconnected to organize two down conductors using copper bonded wire D = 8 mm from each lightning rod. Down conductors are attached to an artificial ground electrode. Fastening of down conductors is made (installation step 0.6-1 m):
- on skate with GL-11564A clamps;
- on the slopes of the roof using GL-11747A clamps;
- on the gutter using GL-11545A clamps;
- to drainpipes using GL-11514N clamps;
- Connection and branching of the down conductors is performed using GL-11551А clamps.
The set of measures to ensure the necessary requirements for the grounding device is presented by the following solutions:
- Installation of a grounding device consisting of a horizontal electrode (copper bonded tape with the cross-section of 4x30 mm), depth of 0.5 meters and 7 vertical electrodes (pins of copper bonded steel with a diameter of 14 mm) 3 m long.
- Connection of vertical and horizontal electrodes with each other is carried out with the help of ZZ-005-064 clamp.
- The connection of the down condcutor with the output of the copper-bonded tape from the ground is carried out using GL-11562A control clamp.
- The design of the grounding device corresponds to clause 1.7.55 of the EIC. Grounding devices for protective grounding and grounding for lightning protection are carried out in common.
Arrangement of lightning protection system and grounding device elements are shown in Figure 1. The zone shown corresponds to Zone B of AD.
Figure 1. Plan with the arrangement of lightning protection and grounding device elements
Components for lightning protection and grounding of the museum
Do you have questions on grounding and lightning protection of a museum? Ask ZANDZ Technical Center for help!